Kuala Lumpur tends to be a relatively safe place for travelers. As in most cities, it's a good idea to avoid wandering around alone at night. However, people snatching bags while driving by on motorbikes have been reported, so it's best to walk on the inside of the sidewalk. Taxis have been known to refuse the use of meter with tourists, but with so many on the road, it's easy just to grab another cab. Always discuss payment beforehand. One recurring con in Malaysia is the "Poker Scam." After striking up a friendly conversation, a local invites tourists home to play the game, which eventually leads to a trip to the ATM.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe