Kota Kinabalu is safe but petty crime does exist. Use common sense and don't leave bags and bags unattended on the beach. Lock valuables in a hotel safe whenever possible. If you do venture out into the jungle, be wary of monkeys as they love to steal food, cameras, cell phones, and bags.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe