Getting Here & Around
Kota Kinabalu International Airport (BKI) is only 8 km (5 miles) southwest of the city center. As the second busiest airport in Malaysia, it serves as a convenient gateway into the island of Borneo. Coupons can be purchased at the airport taxi counter for a ride into town—the fixed rate is RM30 per taxi for up to four people. Kota Kinabalu's city center is fairly compact and filled with business and government buildings. Sandwiched between the South China Sea and rainforest hills, the gorgeous tropical islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman Park are easily accessible by boat to the west, and Mt. Kinabalu is an 80-km (50-mile) drive east.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe