Getting Here & Around
Kota Kinabalu International Airport (BKI) is only 8 km (5 miles) southwest of the city center. As the second busiest airport in Malaysia, it serves as a convenient gateway into the island of Borneo. Coupons can be purchased at the airport taxi counter for a ride into town—the fixed rate is RM30 per taxi for up to four people. Kota Kinabalu's city center is fairly compact and filled with business and government buildings. Sandwiched between the South China Sea and rainforest hills, the gorgeous tropical islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman Park are easily accessible by boat to the west, and Mt. Kinabalu is an 80-km (50-mile) drive east.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe