Safety and Precautions in Si Phan Don
Safety and Precautions
Take care when kayaking on the Mekong. The water may appear still, but the currents are actually quite strong, and there are some eddies that can suck you in. It's best to go with a guide. The name Liphi Falls means "spirit trap," and there's a lot of superstition surrounding them. It is considered offensive to swim here, so do refrain. Also, the rapids are strong, and there have been a number of tourist deaths in years past.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's