- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A former French-colonial provincial center, the pleasant riverside town of Savannakhet is today the urban hub of a vast rice-growing plain. It's distinguished by some fine examples of French-colonial architecture. There are some options for eco-trekking north of Savannakhet in Tha Kaek at the fantastic Khong Lor Cave, but given the distances and slow transport down here, this will take a lot of extra time. That said, the town itself is worth a daylong visit tops, and most visitors on a timetable bypass it for the more interesting options farther south.
Elsewhere in Laos
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's