- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- centrally located
- great Mekong views from some rooms
- restaurant is a great spot with good food
- very expensive for Huay Xai
- river-facing rooms get very hot in the afternoon
- often packed with noisy tour groups
Check Rates from our Partners
Riverside Houayxay Review
For a convenient night's rest just next to the Lao immigration and the boat to Chiang Khong, Thailand, the Riverside is a decent choice. All rooms come with a/c, TV, hot water, and minibars. Fourteen of the wood-floor rooms have Mekong views, the location is smack in the middle of town, and the adjoining restaurant is probably the best option for a decent meal with a view. For some reason, rooms booked via a travel agent are a far better deal than walk-in, so either call ahead or see if an agent across the river will set you up before crossing.
- Address: 168 Centre Rd., Huay Xai
- Phone: 084/211064; 020/54202222
- Location: River Journey to Huay Xai
- 40 rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Tomorrow I'm off to Thailand on trip #34 to BKK since 2001. Read more
There are lots of things to do, based on your interests. Read more
I am travelling with my boyfriend in China this summer. Read more
· News & Features
Laos will surprise most any traveler with its endless draws, from isolated beaches to wildlife-filled... Read more
In a new marketing stunt, Heineken asked random travelers at JFK to "drop everything" and fly to a random,... Read more
River cruises can offer a whole new way to see an exotic locale.... Read more