- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Plain of Jars
Plain of Jars Review
One of the world's major archaeological wonders, the Plain of Jars is also one of the world's most tantalizing mysteries. The broad, mountain-ringed plain northeast of Vientiane is littered with hundreds of ancient stone and clay jars, some estimated to weigh 5 or 6 tons. The jars are said to be at least 2,000 years old, but to this day nobody knows who made them or why. They survived heavy bombing during the Vietnam War, and their sheer size has kept them out of the hands of antiquities hunters.
The jars are scattered over three main areas, but only the Ban Ang site is accessible and worth visiting. Here you can find some 300 jars dotting a windswept plateau about 12 km (7½ miles) from Phonsavanh, capital of Xieng Khuang Province. This is true Hmong territory: you pass Hmong villages on the way from Phonsavanh to Ban Ang and on Highway 7, which leads east to the Vietnamese border at Nong Het. There's much of interest in this remote area along Highway 7, including hot mineral springs at Muang Kham. From Muang Kham, a road leads to Vieng Xay, which has more than 100 limestone caves, some of them used as hideouts by the revolutionary Pathet Lao during the war years.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indochina Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) IExplore
- Thailand & Laos Experience — $5,439 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) — $10,250 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) — $7,995 IExplore
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
Hi All! Read more
We are three families travelling to Bali in June/July this year and I am wanting to book a cooking class in the Ubud area but ........ it has to be loads of fun and interactive as we have a few teenage Read more
· News & Features
River cruises can offer a whole new way to see an exotic locale.... Read more
Design Hotels is a well curated collection of chic hotels, known for their exceptional design —and... Read more
Southeast Asia is the new destination du jour for luxury-minded travelers who appreciate great value.... Read more