Wat Sisaket Museum
Wat Sisaket Museum Review
This interesting museum complex is made up of a crumbling temple and monastery compound across the road from Ho Phra Keo. Built in 1818 by King Anu, the temple survived the destruction of the city by the Siamese army in 1828. The monastery stands intact in its original form, and is one of the most frequented in the city. Inside the main compound the courtyard walls have hundreds of little niches and large shelves displaying 6,840 Buddha statues. Although it's in need of more work, the impressive temple hall underwent some restoration in 1938. The paintings that once covered its interior walls have largely been destroyed by the ravages of time, but the intricately carved wooden ceiling and doors are still intact. There's also an intriguing wooden library that stores palm-leaf manuscripts.