- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are direct flights to Luang Prabang from both Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Lao Airlines operates a thrice-weekly service from Bangkok to Luang Prabang and five flights weekly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang. Bangkok Airways flies direct twice daily from Bangkok to Luang Prabang, and onward to Siem Reap.
Lao Airlines also has at least three flights a day between Vientiane and Luang Prabang, plus three weekly flights from Vientiane to Huay Xai.
Luang Prabang International Airport is 4 km (2½ mi) northeast of the city. The taxi ride to the city center costs $6.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indochina Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) IExplore
- Thailand & Laos Experience — $5,439 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) — $10,250 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) — $7,995 IExplore