- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
This is the best place to try the seven famous delicacies from Shinji-ko: suzuki (or hosho-yaki), sea bass wrapped in washi (paper) and baked over hot coals; unagi (freshwater eel) split, broiled, and basted in sweet soy sauce; shirao, a small whitefish often served as sashimi or cooked in vinegar-miso; amasagi (smelt), teriyaki-grilled or cooked in tempura; shijimi, small black-shelled clams served in miso or other soup; koi, string-bound, washi-wrapped, steam-baked carp; and moroge-ebi, steamed shrimp. Especially good is the hosho-yaki. The staff is outgoing, as is the regular crowd. Don't forget to request one of the delicious ji-zake (locally made sake) samplers. Try to make reservations at least a few days in advance. Kawakyo is in the block just east of the middle (Matsue Ohashi) bridge, a block north of the river.
- Address: 65 Suetsugu Hon-machi, Matsue, 690-0843
- Phone: 0852/22–1312
- Hours: Closed Sun. No lunch
- Location: Matsue
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
As some of you have undoubtedly realized, there are currently two tags for Japan -- with and without a capital J. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more