- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
A-Bomb Dome (Gembaku Domu)
A-Bomb Dome (Gembaku Domu) Review
This ruin is a poignant symbol of man's self-destructiveness. It was the city's old Industrial Promotion Hall, and it stands in stark contrast to the new Hiroshima, which hums along close by. Despite being directly below the bomb blast, the building did not collapse into rubble like the rest of the city. Eerie, twisted, and charred, the sturdy domed structure of iron and concrete has stood darkly brooding next to the river, basically untouched since that horrible morning. A visit to A-Bomb Dome is a sobering reminder of nuclear destruction, and at dusk the sad old building's foreboding, derelict appearance can be emotionally overwhelming. The site is just outside the official northeast boundary of Peace Memorial Park. Take Streetcar 2 or 6 from Hiroshima Station to the Gembaku-Domu-mae stop.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
As it stands now, we have the following train rides during our October-November stay in Japan:
1. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more