- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
All That Art! If you want to explore Tokyo's top museums, then head to Ueno where you'll find the Tokyo National Museum and the National Museum of Western Art.
Shining Shrine. Dating back to 1627, the Tosho-gu Shrine is a National Treasure that houses a priceless collection of historical art and is one of the few remaining early-Edo-period buildings in Tokyo—it survived the 1868 revolt, the 1923 earthquake, and the 1945 bombings. The shrine is under renovation until December 2013 but the grounds are open.
Beautiful Bloom. From mid-June through August, Shinobazu-ike (Shinobazu Pond) is the only place in Tokyo where you'll see such a vast expanse of lotus flowers in bloom—the flowers stretch over the entire pond.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe