- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Greater Tokyo incorporates 23 wards, 26 smaller cities, seven towns, and eight villages—altogether sprawling 88 km (55 miles) from east to west and 24 km (15 miles) from north to south with a population of 35 million people. The wards alone enclose an area of 590 square km (228 square miles), which comprise the city center and house 8 million residents. Chiyoda-ku, Chuo-ku, Shinjuku-ku, and Minato-ku are the four central business districts.
Did You Know?
Space is the greatest luxury in Tokyo and affordable housing is found only in the suburbs. An average Tokyo family probably lives in a cramped apartment that averages 80 square meters (860 square feet). A one-bedroom apartment situated inside the Roppongi Hills residential complex is approximately ¥600,000 (around $7,000) per month to rent.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's