Sights & Attractions in Tokyo
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Fodor's Choice Sights in Tokyo
Backstreet shops of Tsukiji
If you have time for only one market, this is the one to see...
|Markets / Bazaars, Neighborhoods / Streets||Tsukiji and Shiodome|
From an open plaza on massive pillars an escalator takes you...
|Museums / Galleries||Greater Tokyo|
Mount Fuji greets hikers who arrive at its summit just before...
|Mountains||Fuji-san (Mt. Fuji)|
Hakone Kowakien Yunessun
This complex on the hills overlooking Hakone offers more than...
The only temple in Kamakura facing the sea, this is one of the...
Imperial Palace East Garden
Tokyo's most central and most overlooked oasis of green and quiet...
|Parks, Gardens / Arboretums||Imperial Palace and Government District|
Kamakura Great Buddha
The single biggest attraction in Hase is the Great Buddha—sharing...
|Public Art (Mural / Sculpture / Statue)||Kamakura|
More than anything else, the country's most famous falls are...
|Bodies of Water||Nikko|
This shrine honors the spirits of Emperor Meiji, who died in...
|Religious Sites||Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya|
On view are traditional Japanese and Asian works of art owned...
|Museums / Galleries||Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya|
Even for travelers with little interest in history or temples...
Tokyo National Museum
This complex of four buildings grouped around a courtyard is...
|Museums / Galleries||Ueno|
Tokyo Sky Tree
Opened in 2011 to mixed reviews, this 2,000-plus-foot-tall skyscraper...
This shrine, built in 1627, is dedicated to Ieyasu, the first...
With its riot of colors and carvings, inlaid pillars, red-lacquer...
Browse All Tokyo Sights
- Akihabara and Jimbo-cho
- Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya
- Fuji Go-ko (Fuji Five Lakes)
- Fuji-san (Mt. Fuji)
- Greater Tokyo
- Imperial Palace and Government District
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's