- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Ryoma no Sora Bettei
Ryoma no Sora Bettei Review
Ryoma no Sora Bettei Tokyoites love unique dining experiences and are also fascinated by their own history—they can revel in both in this eatery which is a tribute to Ryoma Sakamoto, a hero who helped overthrow the feudal Tokugawa Shogunate in the 1860s. When you enter from the ultramodern streets of Shinjuku, slide off your shoes, stash them in a wooden locker, and walk by a statute of the sword-wielding Sakamoto as you step into the Japan of the past. You can sit in the main dining hall, which resembles a bustling historic inn, or you can phone ahead to reserve a private tatami-mat dining room. The cuisine also harkens back to the traditional rural cooking, popular before Japan opened up to the West. The house specialty is seiro-mushi, a bamboo box filled with carefully arranged seafood, poultry, or meat, steamed over a pot, served piping hot, and quickly shared with everyone at the table.
- Address: B2 141 Shinjuku Bldg., 1–4–2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0023
- Phone: 03/3347–2207
- Website: www.diamond-dining.com/shop_info/ryomanosora-bettei
- Subway: JR Shinjuku Station (Nishi-guchi/West Exit).
- Location: Shinjuku
- No lunch.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the ... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more