Tenkai (1536–1643), the first abbot of Rinno Temple, has his own place of honor at Tosho-gu: the Jigen-do. The hall, which was founded in 848, now holds many of Rinno Temple's artistic treasures. To reach it, take the path opposite the south entrance to Futara-san Shrine that passes between the two subtemples called Jogyo-do and Hokke-do. Connected by a corridor, these two buildings are otherwise known as the Futatsu-do (Twin Halls) of Rinno Temple and are designated
a National Cultural Property. The path between the Twin Halls leads roughly south and west to the Jigen-do compound; the hall itself is at the north end of the compound, to the right. At the west end sits the Go-oden, a shrine to Prince Yoshihisa Kitashirakawa (1847–95), the last of the imperial princes to serve as abbot. Behind it are his tomb and the tombs of his 13 predecessors.
2300 Sannai, Nikko, Tochigi-ken, 321-1494, Japan