- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Charcoal-broiled unagi (eel) is an acquired taste, and there's no better place in Nikko to acquire it than at this small and unpretentious place with only five plain-wood tables. Service can be lukewarm, but Sawamoto is reliable for a light lunch or dinner of unagi on a bed of rice, served in an elegant lacquered box. Eel is considered a stamina builder: just right for the weary visitor on a hot summer day.
- Address: 1019 Bandu, Kami Hatsuishi-machi Nikko, Tochigi-ken 321-1401
- Phone: 0288/54–0163
- Location: Nikko
- No credit cards.
- No dinner.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I'll go to Japan on 6 May and arrive in Narita around 7PM. Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the ... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more