- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Charcoal-broiled unagi (eel) is an acquired taste, and there's no better place in Nikko to acquire it than at this restaurant. The place is small and unpretentious, with only five plain-wood tables, and service can be lukewarm, but Sawamoto is reliable for a light lunch or dinner of unagi on a bed of rice, served in an elegant lacquered box. Eel is considered a stamina builder: just right for the weary visitor on a hot summer day.
- Address: 1019 Bandu, Kami Hatsuishi-machi, Nikko, Tochigi-ken, 321-1401
- Phone: 0288/54-0163
- Location: Nikko
- No credit cards.
- No dinner.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
Whether it's the sushi, the style, or the neon lights that call to you, Tokyo has endless wow factor.... Read more
A cross between Hong Kong and Tokyo, Taipei offers everything from upscale design hotels to themed cafes,... Read more