- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
In the heart of one of Tokyo's old working-class Shitamachi (downtown) neighborhoods, Sasa-no-yuki has been serving meals based on homemade tofu for the past 315 years. The food is inspired in part by shojin ryori (Buddhist vegetarian cuisine). The basic three-course set menu includes ankake (bean curd in sweet soy sauce), uzumi tofu (scrambled with rice and green tea), and unsui (a creamy tofu crepe filled with sea scallops, shrimp, and minced red pepper). For bigger appetites, there's also an eight-course banquet. There's both tatami and table seating, and the dining room includes a view of the Japanese garden complete with waterfall.
- Address: 2-15-10 Negishi, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 110-0003
- Phone: 03/3873-1145
- Subway: JR Uguisudani Station (Kita-guchi/North Exit).
- Location: Ueno
- Closed Mon.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am thinking about transfer options from Narita to Tokyo (Sheraton Miyako Hotel). Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
Whether it's the sushi, the style, or the neon lights that call to you, Tokyo has endless wow factor.... Read more
A cross between Hong Kong and Tokyo, Taipei offers everything from upscale design hotels to themed cafes,... Read more