- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Just a stone's throw from the Tokyo fish market, Takeno Shokudo is a rough-cut neighborhood restaurant that tends to fill up at noon with the market's wholesalers and auctioneers and personnel from the nearby Asahi newspaper offices. There's nothing here but the freshest and the best—big portions of it, at very reasonable prices. Sushi and sashimi are the staples, but there's also a wonderful tendon bowl, with shrimp and eel tempura on rice. Prices are not posted because they vary with the costs that morning in the market. Reservations can only be made for large parties, or if you plan to dine before 6:30 pm.
- Address: 6–21–2 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0045
- Phone: 03/3541–8698
- Subway: Hibiya subway line, Tsukiji Station (Exit 1); Oedo subway line, Tsukiji-shijo Station (Exit A1).
- Location: Tsukiji
- No credit cards.
- Closed Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I am leaving on a trip to Japan, China, Myanmar and Thailand on March 28 for one month and need to be able to call the US. Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the ... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more