- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Smoky, noisy, and cluttered, Ganchan is exactly what the Japanese expect of their yakitori joints—restaurants that specialize in bits of charcoal-broiled chicken and vegetables. The counter here seats barely 15, and you have to squeeze to get to the chairs in back. Festival masks, paper kites, lanterns, and greeting cards from celebrity patrons adorn the walls. The cooks yell at each other, fan the grill, and serve up enormous schooners of beer. Try the tsukune (balls of minced chicken) and the fresh asparagus wrapped in bacon. The place stays open until 1:30 am (midnight on Sunday).
- Address: 6–8–23 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 106-0032
- Phone: 03/3478–0092
- Subway: Hibiya subway line, Roppongi Station (Exit 1A).
- Location: Roppongi
- No lunch.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
DH and I spent 3 weeks in Japan from Nov.1-Noiv. 22. By way of introduction, we are both retired, and have traveled extensively over the past 40 years, sometimes on tours and sometimes on our own. With Read more
This was our first trip to Japan. Read more
The photos can be found here:
http://craigandjeane.smugmug.com/Travel/Japan-2013/35137168_fn24ZF#!i=2947031549&k=VfzVjD5 Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers. ... Read more
Whether it's the sushi, the style, or the neon lights that call to you, Tokyo has endless wow factor.... Read more
A cross between Hong Kong and Tokyo, Taipei offers everything from upscale design hotels to themed cafes,... Read more