- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Tokyo Tower Review
In 1958 Tokyo's fledgling TV networks needed a tall antenna array to transmit signals. Trying to emerge from the devastation of World War II, the nation's capital was also hungry for a landmark—a symbol for the aspirations of a city still without a skyline. The result was the 1,093-foot-high Tokyo Tower, an unabashed knockoff of Paris's Eiffel Tower, and with great views of the city. The Main Observatory, set at 492 feet above ground, and the Special Observatory, up an additional 330 feet, quickly became major tourist attractions; they still draw many visitors a year, the vast majority of them Japanese youngsters on their first trip to the big city. A modest art gallery, the Guinness Book of World Records Museum Tokyo, and view-filled dining round out the tower's appeal as an amusement complex.
- Address: 4–2–8 Shiba-Koen, Minato-ku Roppongi, Tokyo, 105-0011 | Map It
- Phone: 03/3433–5111
- Cost: Main Observatory ¥820, Special Observatory ¥600 extra
- Hours: Tower daily 9 am–10 pm; museums and art gallery daily 10–9
- Website: www.tokyotower.co.jp
- Subway: Hibiya subway line, Kamiyacho Station (Exit 2).
- Location: Roppongi
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I'm starting to plan a trip to Japan, and have questions about which international airport(s) to fly in and out of and how to get to various places we have in mind to sightsee.
I have a conference Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the ... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more