- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Ota Memorial Museum of Art (Ota Kinen Bijutsukan)
Ota Memorial Museum of Art (Ota Kinen Bijutsukan) Review
The gift of former Toho Mutual Life Insurance chairman Seizo Ota, this is probably the city's finest private collection of ukiyo-e, traditional Edo-period wood-block prints. Ukiyo-e (pictures of the floating world) flourished in the 18th and 19th centuries. The works on display are selected and changed periodically from the 12,000 prints in the collection, which include some extremely rare work by artists such as Hiroshige, Hokusai, Sharaku, and Utamaro.
- Address: 1–10–10 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya, Tokyo, 150-0001 | Map It
- Phone: 03/3403–0880
- Cost: ¥700–¥1,000, depending on exhibit
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 10:30–5:30; closed a few days at the end of each month; call ahead or check website
- Website: www.ukiyoe-ota-muse.jp
- Subway: Chiyoda and Fukutoshin subway lines, Meiji-Jingu-mae Station (Exit 5); JR Yamanote Line, Harajuku Station (Omotesando Exit).
- Location: Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I'm starting to plan a trip to Japan, and have questions about which international airport(s) to fly in and out of and how to get to various places we have in mind to sightsee.
I have a conference Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the ... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more