- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The size of the city and the diversity of its institutions make it impossible to fit all of Tokyo's interesting sights into neighborhoods. Plenty of worthy places—from Tokyo Disneyland to sumo stables to the old Oji district—fall outside the city's neighborhood repertoire. Yet no guide to Tokyo would be complete without them.
The 23 wards of Tokyo border four prefectures and a bay. A number of historically and culturally important sights require a special trek off the Yamanote Line.
Central Tokyo is routinely described as a concrete haven, yet the Kasai Seaside Park offers numerous flora at the edge of Tokyo Bay. Tokyo has a few traditional areas remaining, but if the sport of sumo tickles your fancy, the largest collection of training stables is in the Ryogoku area. Two things make this working-class shitamachi neighborhood worth a special trip: this is the center of the world of sumo wrestling as well as the site of the extraordinary Edo-Tokyo Museum. Also outside the city center are some theme parks, like Tokyo Disneyland and Sanrio Puroland, whose numerous kitsch attractions celebrate Japan’s love for all that is cute. Creatures from the sea abound at the Shinagawa Aquarium and Sunshine International Aquarium. If land mammals are more to your liking, the Tama Zoo is a fine choice for kids.
Greater Tokyo at a Glance
Experience Greater Tokyo
- Edo-Tokyo Museum
- Kasai Seaside Park
- Sanrio Puroland
- Sengaku-ji (Sengaku Temple)
- Shinagawa Aquarium (Shinagawa Suizokukan)
- Sumo Museum
Elsewhere in Tokyo
- Akihabara and Jimbo-cho
- Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya
- Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park
- Imperial Palace and Government District
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's