- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Tokyo can be a challenging place to travel with children, and this is especially true when the little ones get hungry. Many Japanese parents opt to take young children to famiresu, or "family restaurants," such as Denny's, Jonathan's, or Saizeria. These chains are located all over the city and will do in a pinch. Be forewarned that Denny's in Japan bears only a fleeting resemblance to its American counterpart, and all family restaurants refuse substitutions or à la carte orders. But if you look beyond the chains you'll find some memorable dining experiences for the whole family. These are some of our favorites:
57. ($$) This New York-style lounge usually has a decidedly adult atmosphere, but during the famous Sunday brunch, family-friendly meals are served and the lounge area is transformed into a playpen. 4-2-35 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 106-0032. 03/5775-7857. Subway: Hibiya and Toei Oedo lines, Roppongi Station (Exit 6).
Baseball Café ($$).Located in the shadow of Tokyo Dome, the primary baseball stadium in Tokyo, this theme restaurant features sports memorabilia, waitstaff dressed in athletic uniforms, and a menu full of fun selections such as "home-run pizza" and the ridiculously oversize "world champion burger." This is the perfect place for sports-loving kids. 1-3 Koraku, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 112-8575. 03/3817-6262. Subway: JR Sobu Line; Toei Mita Line, Suidobashi Station (Exit A5).
Garden Café ($$).Located within the beautiful grounds of the Tokyo American Club, this eatery offers kids plenty of room to run around and healthful food to eat. 4-25-46 Takanawa, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-0074. 03/4588-0705. Subway: JR Shinagawa Station (Takanawa Exit).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel