- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The fastest way to Towada-ko is by one daily bus directly from Morioka Station (departs from the West Exit at 9:45 am; two hours, 15 minutes; ¥2,200). The last stop on the bus is Towada-ko. Or you can take a JR bus from Aomori Station or Hachinohe Station. Mizuumi-go's route travels between Aomori and Towada-ko in two hours, 45 minutes (¥3,000). JR Oirase-go operates on the same route but also stops at Hachinohe Station (two hours, 15 minutes; ¥2,600). If you do not have a Japan Rail Pass, there is a two-day pass that covers the route from Aomori to Towada (¥4,600; can be used any time except October); it also lets you stop at other interesting sights such as Oirase Gorge. Local buses run along a network that links all the main spots, but service is frequently suspended during winter storms. See the Northern Tohoku Tourist Information Center for more info on routes, schedules, activities, and places to stay in Towado-Hachiman-tai National Park. If you rent a car, driving in Hachiman-tai, on the Hachiman-tai Aspite Line, can be enjoyable except on winter days. The scenery is especially beautiful in early summer and fall.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe