- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Tazawa-ko and Kakunodate
Japan’s deepest lake, Tazawa-ko (Lake Tazawa), and the traditional town of Kakunodate are good side-trips into Tohoku's wilder interior, approachable from either Morioka or the west-coast city of Akita. For a little thermal relaxation in a very rustic setting, forge on to the old spa town of Nyuto Onsen, just north of Lake Tazawa. Accessible by bus from Tazawa-ko are several small, unspoiled, mountain hot-spring spas. Most of these have only one inn, and you'll have to take your meals there. It's advisable to arrange accommodations before you arrive if you plan to stay the night, and the Tazawa-ko Tourist Information Office can help arrange this.
Tazawa-ko and Kakunodate at a Glance
Elsewhere in Tohoku
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's