Tohoku Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Chuson-ji (Chuson-ji Temple)

Chuson-ji (Chuson-ji Temple) Review

Founded in 850, this temple's highlight is its Konjikido (Golden Hall), which was completed in 1124. The first Ou Fujiwara lord Kiyohara commissioned many temples and pagodas during his reign, perhaps as many as 40, not to mention residences for 300 priests. Nearly all were destroyed by fire except for Konjikido, and it is the only structure in Chuson-ji that remains unchanged. More than 3,000 objects have survived and are now housed in the treasure house. It's a 20-minute walk from JR Hiraizumi Station or a 10-minute bus ride.

Updated: 09-20-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

· News & Features

View more blog stories