- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Japanese Phrases
Towada-ko (Lake Towada)
Towada-ko (Lake Towada) Review
Thanks to famous colors and a rumbling fleet of packed tour buses, the Lake Towada area is almost too popular in autumn. The lake fills a volcanic crater to a depth of 334 meters (1,096 feet), making it the third deepest in Japan. The crater is held aloft like a giant goblet 400 meters above the surrounding topography, giving it a dramatic illusory aspect. There are boat tours, and nearby Yasumi-ya Village facilities include a campsite. The lake borders remote reaches of Aomori and Akita prefectures, and it's not nearly as convenient or unhurried as Tazawa-ko.
- Address: Towada-Hachiman-tai National Park,
- Location: Towada-Hachiman-tai National Park and Vicinity
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Sendai Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $178+/Nt Save with Expedia, $66/night less
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Here are the train segments we need. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more