- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Japanese Phrases
Oirase-kyokoku (Oirase [oh- ee-ra-seh[cb] Gorge)
Oirase-kyokoku (Oirase [oh- ee-ra-seh[cb] Gorge) Review
An excellent choice for a walk—if a bit crowded—is this gorge northeast of the lake at Nenokuchi. The carefully tended trail to the gorge follows the stream for a total of 9 km (5½ mi; about two hours, 40 minutes). A two-lane road parallels the river, and you can catch buses at intervals of about 2 km (1 mi). Buses go north to Aomori and south to Nenokuchi and Yasumi-ya. Though very popular with tour groups, especially in fall, this does take you through one of the most pristine areas of Tohoku. Be prepared for cold mist or rain, take a map of the river and bus stops, and find out the bus schedule before you start out.
- Address: Towada-Hachiman-tai National Park,
- Location: Towada-Hachiman-tai National Park and Vicinity
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax) — $874 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Here are the train segments we need. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more