- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Getting Here and Around
From Sendai, the quickest way to reach Morioka is the Hayate Shinkansen (45 minutes; ¥6,290); the cheapest way to get there is the express bus (two hours, 40 minutes; ¥2,850) Both run many times a day from Sendai. If you want to fly from Osaka or Sapporo, Morioka (whose Hanamaki Airport is 53 minutes by bus, ¥1,000, from downtown) has two or three flights daily from Osaka's Itami Airport (one hour, 25 minutes; ¥35,200–¥37,400) by JAL. There are also flights from Sapporo's Chitose Airport.
To get to downtown Morioka from the JR Morioka Station, you can walk or take the convenient loop bus, called Denden-mushi, which goes to the shopping area on the far side of the river past the park; the bus departs every 10 to 15 minutes between the hours of 9 and 7 from Bus Stop 15 or 16 in front of JR Morioka Station (¥100 for one ride, ¥300 for the day pass).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe