- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Tohoku
Summer Festivals: Tohoku hosts a number of raucous, tumultuous, and exciting festivals every summer, the Tanabata Matsuri being the top draw.
Coastal Beauty: Matsushima Bay's 250 islands near Sendai are beautiful, but the coast is postcard-pretty virtually anywhere.
Seafood and Vegetables: The freshest seafood you'll ever eat is presented in many ways, all of them tasty. Sansai (wild mountain vegetables) are a specialty of the region.
Country Life: Tohoku claims some of the cleanest water in the country, which helps produce high-quality rice, noodles, apples, cherries, and beef and dairy cattle.
Mountain Adventures: The many fine mountain playgrounds are made all the more appealing by the relative absence of people using them.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe