- Summer festivals Tohoku hosts a number of raucous, tumultuous, and exciting festivals every summer, the Tanabata Matsuri being the top draw.
- Coastal beauty Matsushima Bay's 250 islands near Sendai are beautiful, but the coast is postcard-pretty virtually anywhere.
- Seafood and vegetables The freshest seafood you'll ever eat is presented in many ways, all of them tasty. Sansai (wild mountain vegetables) are a specialty of the region.
- Country life Tohoku claims some of the cleanest water in the country, which helps produce high-quality rice, noodles, apples, cherries, and beef and dairy cattle.
- Mountain adventures The many fine mountain playgrounds are made all the more appealing by the relative absence of people using them.
GREAT AMERICAN VACATION
Take our short photo quiz to reveal your ideal trip in the U.S.More