- Summer festivals Tohoku hosts a number of raucous, tumultuous, and exciting festivals every summer, the Tanabata Matsuri being the top draw.
- Coastal beauty Matsushima Bay's 250 islands near Sendai are beautiful, but the coast is postcard-pretty virtually anywhere.
- Seafood and vegetables The freshest seafood you'll ever eat is presented in many ways, all of them tasty. Sansai (wild mountain vegetables) are a specialty of the region.
- Country life Tohoku claims some of the cleanest water in the country, which helps produce high-quality rice, noodles, apples, cherries, and beef and dairy cattle.
- Mountain adventures The many fine mountain playgrounds are made all the more appealing by the relative absence of people using them.
80° BY THE SEA
Looking for a beach vacation? Let us help you find the right spot.More