- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Just past the Five-Story Pagoda, this longtime favorite is the place to try some warabi mochi for morning or afternoon tea. Delicious morsels made from warabi (bracken fern root) are tossed in soybean flour and sweetened with brown sugar syrup. At a second location in Nara Koen, at 49 Noborioji-cho, the unassuming exterior belies an elegant interior. You're transported to a bygone age in a secluded tatami room overlooking a garden where you'll be served simple bento meals of sashimi, stewed vegetables, and tofu in black-lacquer boxes. Lunch at this branch is more expensive, setting you back ¥4,000 to ¥6,000.
- Address: 4–48 Noborioji-cho, Nara Koen, Nara, Nara-ken 630-8213
- Phone: 0742/22–7560
- Location: Nara Koen
- Reservations essential.
- No credit cards.
- Closed Mon. No dinner.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more