- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Just past the Five-Story Pagoda, this longtime favorite is the place to try some warabi mochi for morning or afternoon tea. Delicious morsels made from warabi (bracken fern root) are tossed in soybean flour and sweetened with brown sugar syrup. At a second location in Nara Koen, at 49 Noborioji-cho, the unassuming exterior belies an elegant interior. You're transported to a bygone age in a secluded tatami room overlooking a garden where you'll be served simple bento meals of sashimi, stewed vegetables, and tofu in black-lacquer boxes. Lunch at this branch is more expensive, setting you back ¥4,000 to ¥6,000.
- Address: 4–48 Noborioji-cho, Nara Koen, Nara, Nara-ken 630-8213
- Phone: 0742/22–7560
- Location: Nara Koen
- Reservations essential.
- No credit cards.
- Closed Mon. No dinner.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just got back from a 1 week trip to Japan: Tokyo>Kyoto>Osaka>Nara>Hiroshima>Miyajima
(Nov 20 -27) Fall colors were at their peak everywhere it seemed. Read more
DH and I spent 3 weeks in Japan from Nov.1-Noiv. 22. By way of introduction, we are both retired, and have traveled extensively over the past 40 years, sometimes on tours and sometimes on our own. With Read more
My two sons (20 and 23) are taking their first trip to Japan next month. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more