- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
How Much Time?
Most visitors miss the best that Nara has to offer on a hurried day trip from Kyoto, Osaka, or Kobe. If time is an issue, the city is compact and well connected enough to explore all the temples and shrines in Nara Koen and spend a full morning or afternoon shopping and walking the streets of Nara-machi in one day. To make the most of this pleasant and relaxing city, an overnight stay is recommended. The city and park just beg to be discovered at a leisurely pace rather than packed into half-day time slot, not to mention the grand Horyu-ji Temple on the outskirts of the city, less than 15 minutes away by train. The tranquil evening atmosphere makes for a nice breather from Kyoto and Osaka's hustle and bustle.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe