- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
This restaurant is known for its shojin ("temple food"), which includes sansai ryori, light dishes of mountain vegetables soaked in a rich miso paste and served with freshwater fish grilled with salt or soy sauce. Occasionally this treat is served atop a roasted magnolia leaf and called hoba-miso. The owner, Sumitake-san, can translate the menu for you. From Miya-gawa, head east on the Sanmachi-dori, crossing four side streets (including the one running along the river), walk up the hill, and take a left at the top. There is no English sign out front, but a white noren (hanging cloth) hangs in the entrance way of this Edo-era house. You might want to steer toward the semiformal. It's directly across from a small pay parking lot.
- Address: 2 Babacho-dori, Takayama, 506-0838
- Phone: 0577/32-0174
- Location: Takayama
- Reservations essential.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Chisun & Conference Center Niigata Fr $87+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- APA Niigata-Higashinakadori in May: $53 & Up Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Toyama Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at APA Toyama Fr $69+/Nt — $69 Save with Expedia, $26/night less
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
This October, my husband and I are stopping off Narita for 11 days on our way back to USA from Taipei. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more