- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Happo-o-ne Ski Resort
Happo-o-ne Ski Resort Review
Japan's first parallel jumping hills were constructed with critical points of 393 feet and 295 feet, and each has a scaffold structure for the in-run and landing slope. These ski jumps can also be used in spring and summer. The Champion and Panorama courses have starting points of an altitude of 5,510 feet, with separate courses for men (vertical drop 2,755 feet) and women (vertical drop 2,555 feet). The downhill course for super-giant slalom starts lower. This ridge stretches to the east from Mt. Karamatsu (8,843 feet), with breathtaking views if the mist doesn't roll in. Even in summer a sweater or light jacket may be needed. You can reach the first cairn via three connecting gondolas (five minutes to Happo Gondola Station, then eight minutes by gondola for Usagidaira, and an additional 10 minutes by alpine lift). From here the jewel-like Happo Pond is a 6-km (4-mi) hike. For more-ambitious hikers, three more hours gets you to the top of Mt. Karamatsu-dake. It's a five-minute, 3-km (2-mi) bus ride from Hakuba to Happo and then a 15-minute walk through the resort of Swiss-like chalets and hotels to the gondola station. The round-trip fare is ¥2,600, and the lower gondola operates from 8 am to 5 pm (from 7 am in July); the higher chairlift stops at 4:30 pm.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Matsumoto Rate: Book Fr $169+/Nt Hotels.com
- Niigata Savings! Book at Apa Niigata-Furumachi Fr $85+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Book 3-Star Chisun & Conference Center Niigata Fr $98+/Nt — $98 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Book 3-Star APA Toyama in Toyama Fr $72+/Nt — $72 Save with Expedia, $15/night less
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Here are the train segments we need. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more