- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Sugi no I
Sugi no I Review
This elegant restaurant in Tera-machi, on the south bank of the Sai-gawa River close to the Sakura-bashi Bridge, serves Kaga specialties like duck stew with wheat gluten called jibu ni and gori no tsukuda ni, tiny soy-simmered river fish on Kutani china, Oribe pottery, and lacquerware. There is a special ladies' course (that anyone can order) for ¥3,675. For a surcharge of ¥500 per person you can usually have a private room overlooking the garden. In traditional Japanese style, the meal finishes with rice, pickles, and soup; in autumn the broth is clear with herbs and a shrimp dumpling. Full-course dinners start at ¥15,000.
- Address: 3-11 Kyokawa-machi, Kanazawa, 921-8032
- Phone: 0762/43-2288
- Location: Kanazawa
- Reservations essential.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3-Star Toko City Matsumoto Fr $112+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star APA Niigata-Higashinakadori in Niigata Fr $51+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Chisun & Conference Center Niigata Fr $100+/Nt — $100 Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Explore Matsumoto For Less! Book Fr $98+/Nt — $98 Hotels.com
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more