- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Sugi no I
Sugi no I Review
On the south bank of the Sai-gawa River close to the Sakura-bashi Bridge, this elegant restaurant serves Kaga specialties like duck stew with wheat gluten and gori no tsukuda ni, tiny soy-simmered river fish. Kutani china, Oribe pottery, and lacquerware provide the perfect canvas for these culinary works of art. Dinner in a private room overlooking the garden is a splurge, but worth it. In traditional Japanese style, the meal finishes with rice, pickles, and soup; in autumn the broth is clear with herbs and a shrimp dumpling. Full-course dinners start at ¥15,000; the ¥3675 "Ladies' Course," which anyone can order, is a more reasonablly priced option. Lunch bento boxess are ¥3,360. It's a fancy place, so you'll want to dress up a bit.
- Address: 3–11 Kyokawa-machi, Kanazawa, 921-8032
- Phone: 0762/43–2288
- Location: Kanazawa
- Reservations essential.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I'll go to Japan on 6 May and arrive in Narita around 7PM. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand.... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more