Follow your nose to this place inside the Hirome-ichiba Market, and don't leave without trying the katsuo tataki, the regional fish specialty and the only item on the menu. Look for the orange flames erupting from this stall's window. Fresh cuts of fish are seared to perfection by a cook perilously close to being engulfed by the flames that he's feeding with big handfuls of straw. Your meal is served on a bed of rice or drizzled with a citrusy soy sauce, and you'll never get enough of it. Most of the fish comes from the port town Kure, and this shop belongs to the captain of Kure's largest fishing vessel. It's hugely popular with locals, so go for an early lunch or dinner to avoid lines.
- Address: Hirome-ichiba Market, 2–3–1 Obiya-machi Arcade, Kōchi, 780-0842
- Phone: 088/820–5101
- Location: Kochi
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello, Well, I've been back for a couple of months now, so I better put out a trip report before my next vacation coming up next w... Read more
26.03.14 After 10 hrs flight from Copenhagen, arrival at the Narita Airport, Tokyo. Arrival ahead of time. We wait for our two frie... Read more