- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The wooden walls of this rustic establishment are full of alcoves holding treasures and knickknacks from dolls to farm implements to ancient jugs full of fresh awamori (rice liquor). Partially enclosed tatami-style rooms offer intimate dining and drinking experiences, while the beer hall-style area in front of the stage makes socializing easy. There's live music nightly, and cheap, filling, delicious food. Tasty goya chips, rafute (bacon slow-cooked in a mix of awamori, soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger root), and garlicky gyoza (fried meat dumplings) should be accompanied by large mugs of icy cold Orion (pronounced oh-ree-yon) beer. Goya is 10 minutes from downtown Hirara by taxi.
- Address: 570-2 Nishizato, Rte. 78 just past Rte. 390Hirara, 906-0012
- Phone: 0980/74-2358
- Location: Hirara City
- No credit cards.
- Closed 1 day a wk, the day varies by month. No lunch.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax) — $874 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Here are the train segments we need. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more