- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Diving and Snorkeling
Tom Sawyer. This is the only dive shop on Ishigaki with a native English speaker (Richard a friendly Brit) who teaches PADI courses and specialties.The shop operates all year round, but ideally you want to visit in mid-summer so that you can see the manta rays. If you'd like to check out the ocean but don't fancy getting wet, there's also a glass bottom boat. 2–41 Tonoshiro, Ishigaki, Okinawa, 907-0004. 0980/83–4677. ishigaki-tomsawyer.jp.
Pushynushima. This great dive company is by the port in Ishigaki, just across the road from the Hotel GranView Ishigaki. Tanaka-san and the other dive instructors speak some English, and offer both half-day and full-day snorkeling or scuba diving tours. Diving is offered all year, but it's at its best in mid-summer. A half day snorkeling is ¥6,000, and a three-tank dive is ¥17,400, plus gear rental. 2–5–6 1F, Ishigaki, Okinawa, 907-0012. 0980/886363. www.ishigaki-diving.net.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe