- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Ferries from Ishigaki-jima connect to two ports on Iriomote-jima, southeastern Ohara and northern Uehara, in just under an hour. You want to head for Uehara, but in heavy weather, boats may not continue past Ohara. There are between 9 and 12 departures daily each way for ¥2,300.
The long road ringing Iriomote's northern half terminates in the west at Shirohara and the east in Funaura, and although infrequent buses connect them, all tour companies will take care of transporting you to and from your hotel or port of call at the time of your excursion. Rental scooters and cars are available, but there aren't really a lot of places to go; rely on your tour guides to get you around, and center your meals on your lodging.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe