- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Good Outdoor. This company offers sea kayaking courses. The four guides speak some English and are welcoming to foreign visitors. Sea kayaking excursions range from ¥8,500 for 4 hours to ¥14700 for 12 hours. A seven-hour Nakawagawa River course is also available for ¥10,500. 607 Iriomote, Iriomote, Okinawa, 907-1542. 0980/84–8116. goodoutdoor.jp.
Mansaku Tour Service. These sea kayaking tours set off where the road ends at Shirahama; from there it's into the waves. After navigating some shore points and smaller straights and islets, you'll weave in and out of the mangrove-lined estuaries along the coast. You won't really hit the open ocean, but the scenery is wonderful, and it's enough of a workout if you're not accustomed to rowing. Your guide Mansaku-san is decently conversant in English and skilled at creating a fun atmosphere. If the weather is good you can snorkel in the crystal clear bay. Longer camping and fishing tours are available. 10–75 Uehara #201, Iriomote, Okinawa, 907-1541. 0980/85–6222. www.cosmos.ne.jp/mansaku/Eindex.html.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe