- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- reasonably priced
- on the harbor
- good if you like fish
- some spoken Japanese essential
- Western-style rooms are drab
Check Rates from our Partners
Staying at this small, family-run ryokan next to the harbor in Daio allows you to enjoy the peaceful evening after the tourists have left and witness the early-morning activity of the fishermen. A good traditional-style restaurant serves lunch and dinner every day, with fresh local ebi (lobster) the main attraction. Western-style rooms are available, but try to get one of the Japanese-style tatami rooms overlooking the water. Daio can be reached by bus from Ugata, and the harbor bus stop is 20 meters from the ryokan.
- Address: 244 Namigiri, Shima-gun, 517-0603
- Phone: 0599/72–1234
- Location: Kashikojima
- 3 Western-style rooms; 4 Japanese-style rooms, 2 with bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more