- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- reasonably priced
- on the harbor
- good if you like fish
- some spoken Japanese essential
- Western-style rooms are drab
Check Rates from our Partners
Staying at this small, family-run ryokan next to the harbor in Daio allows you to enjoy the peaceful evening after the tourists have left and witness the early-morning activity of the fishermen. A good traditional-style restaurant serves lunch and dinner every day, with fresh local ebi (lobster) the main attraction. Western-style rooms are available, but try to get one of the Japanese-style tatami rooms overlooking the water. Daio can be reached by bus from Ugata, and the harbor bus stop is 20 meters from the ryokan.
- Address: 244 Namigiri, Shima-gun, 517-0603
- Phone: 0599/72–1234
- Location: Kashikojima
- 3 Western-style rooms; 4 Japanese-style rooms, 2 with bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I'm starting to plan a trip to Japan, and have questions about which international airport(s) to fly in and out of and how to get to various places we have in mind to sightsee.
I have a conference Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more