- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- reasonably priced
- on the harbor
- good if you like fish
- some spoken Japanese essential
- Western-style rooms are drab
Staying at this small, family-run ryokan next to the harbor in Daio allows you to enjoy the peaceful evening after the tourists have left and witness the early-morning activity of the fishermen. A good izakaya (traditional-style) restaurant is attached to the ryokan. Lunch and dinner are served every day, with fresh Ise ebi (lobster) the main attraction. Western-style rooms are available, but try to get one of the Japanese-style tatami rooms overlooking the water. Daio can be reached by bus from Ugata, and the harbor bus stop is just 20 meters from the ryokan.
- Address: 244 Namigiri, Shima-gun, 517-0603
- Phone: 0599/72-1234
- Location: Kashikojima
- 3 Western-style rooms; 4 Japanese-style rooms, 2 with bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Japan Awaits You! Flights to Nagoya From 698 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save in Nagoya: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $75+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Nagoya for Less: Hotels Fr $88+/Nt Travelocity
- Small budget: Book Nagoya Kanko 3 Nts in May Fr $152+/Nt — $152 Save with Expedia, $14/night less
- Nagoya Savings! Book at Nagoya Garden Palace Fr $140+/Nt — $140 Expedia
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
First, thanks to all who replied to my other thread about where to go for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more