- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The wide ocean views of the coastal journey to Shingu give way to gorges and mountainsides of a deep mossy green when you pass through the tunnel five minutes north of the city. Up the Kumano River, the walls of the steep-sided Doro-kyo rise above you. Farther up, sheer 150-foot cliffs tower over the Kumano-gawa. Tours of the gorge (¥4,800) depart from Shingu Station and can be booked through the Shingu Tourist Association Information Center. A bus goes as far as Shiko, and then a flat-bottom, fan-driven boat travels upriver to Doro-hatcho and back again. Outside seats on the boats are the best. You can book one of the four-hour trips at the information center at Shingu Station.
Elsewhere in Nagoya, Ise-Shima, and the Kii Peninsula
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's