- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Southwest of the majestic twin peaks of Yufu-dake, this tranquil village resembles a checkered quilt. Forests nestle up to clusters of galleries, eclectic cafés, local crafts shops, and rustic lodgings. Most of the year, Yufuin is a relatively peaceful area, but things heat up in July and August with the arrival of national music and film festivals.
Yufuin has avoided many of the pitfalls of modern tourism, and it wasn't an accident. City planners and investors went to Europe and came back with ideas about how to set up a quaint and lovely spa town. The town has blossomed into a quiet, sedate getaway. Relatively unadorned natural baths with great views can be found here, as can a thriving arts-and-crafts industry and fantastic food.
Yufuin at a Glance
Elsewhere in Kyushu
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's