- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Southwest of the majestic twin peaks of Yufu-dake, this tranquil village resembles a checkered quilt. Forests nestle up to clusters of galleries, eclectic cafés, local crafts shops, and rustic lodgings. Most of the year, Yufuin is a relatively peaceful area, but things heat up in July and August with the arrival of national music and film festivals.
Yufuin has suffered from fewer of the pitfalls of modern tourism than the nearby and overdeveloped Beppu. But it wasn't an accident. City planners and investors went to Europe and came back with ideas about how to set up a quaint and lovely spa town—and how not to. The town has blossomed into a quieter, more sedate getaway than its garish counterpart to the east. Relatively unadorned natural baths with great views can be found here, as can a thriving arts-and-crafts industry and fantastic food.
Yufuin at a Glance
Elsewhere in Kyushu
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe