The gateway to the continent of Asia, Kyushu lies considerably west and south of Tokyo. A good route starts with a flight or bullet train into Fukuoka in the north, moves down to Nagasaki on the west coast by express train, then winds eastward by bus or train to the central city of Kumamoto. Take a side trip to Aso-san (Mt. Aso) or Takachiho, then head south to the city of Kagoshima. Finally you can go farther south by local train to the thermal spa resort area of Ibusuki, famous for its hot-sand baths, where you can be heat-treated on the picturesque, breezy beach.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's