- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Situated perfectly as the gateway to the continent of Asia, Kyushu is quite close to the Korean Peninsula. It's considerably west and a little south of Tokyo. A good route starts with a flight or Shinkansen run into Hakata/Fukuoka in the north, moves down to Nagasaki on the west coast by express train, winds eastward by bus or train to the central city of Kumamoto, with a possible side trip to Aso-san (Mt. Aso), and a jaunt south to the city of Kagoshima via the fancy high-speed train, then farther south by local train to the thermal spa resort area of Ibusuki, famous for its hot-sand baths, where you can be heat-treated on the picturesque, breezy beach.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe