- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
On the Menu
The most celebrated dish in Fukuoka is tonkotsu ramen, a strongly flavored pork-bone-based soup with extra-thin noodles, scallions, and strips of roasted pork. Usually it gets heaps of garlic, chili pepper, and other toppings. Wherever you are on Kyushu, ramen can never be too far, and it's always good.
Popular in Nagasaki, shippoku consists of elaborately prepared dishes that blend the flavors of Asia and Europe. Served Chinese style on a revolving round tabletop and perfect for large groups, shippoku is not a solitary affair. Another Nagasaki favorite, chanpon, consists of Chinese-style noodles, vegetables, and shellfish in a thick soup. Sara udon has the chanpon ingredients fried crispy instead of boiled.
Ba-sashi (raw horse meat) is a Kumamoto specialty. Perhaps an easier-to-swallow delicacy is karashi renkon, slices of lotus root stuffed with mustard and/or cayenne and deep-fried. Compared to the subdued flavors of most Japanese cuisine, these dishes attest to the region's bolder palate.
In Kagoshima, don't pass up a chance to try the famed kurobuta tonkatsu, or breaded fried pork cutlet from locally bred black pigs. There's also satsuma-age, a fried-fish cake stuffed with ingredients like garlic, cheese, meat, potato, or burdock root. Imo-jochu, a much-loved regional spirit distilled from sweet potatoes, helps wash down these goodies.
In Yufuin trendy European-style cafés and eateries of all price ranges crowd the streets. Many people also dine in their hot-spring lodgings, where the culinary focus is usually fresh fish and vegetables.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe