- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Kyushu
Diverse Cities: Fukuoka has free-wheeling nightlife, Nagasaki radiates Old World charm, Kumamoto's castle contrasts with traffic-heavy streets, and Kagoshima's palm trees calm travelers.
Gastronomy Domain: Find the sought-after Hakata ramen in Fukuoka. Nagasaki has chanpon (seafood and vegetable noodle soup), and Kagoshima has kurobuta tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet).
Inside the Volcano: Mt. Aso is notoriously active, as is Sakura-jima, across the bay from Kagoshima. Hot springs are found throughout Kyushu.
Into the Wild: With its lava flows, outlying islands, rugged mountains, and national parks, Kyushu is an adventurer's dream. Most trails require only good shoes, water, and some time.
Remote Access: A high-speed train links Kumamoto with Kagoshima in an hour, and in another hour, you can be on the hot sand of Ibusuki's beaches.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe