- Diverse cities Fukuoka has vibrant nightlife, Nagasaki radiates old-world charm, Kumamoto's castle dominates the city, and Kagoshima's palm trees calm travelers.
- Gastronomy domain Find the sought-after Hakata ramen in Fukuoka. Nagasaki haschanpon(seafood and vegetable noodle soup), and Kagoshima haskurobuta tonkatsu(breaded pork cutlet). chanpon (seafood and vegetable noodle soup), and Kagoshima has kurobuta tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet).
- Inside the volcano Mt. Aso is notoriously active, as is Sakura-jima, across the bay from Kagoshima. Hot springs are found throughout Kyushu.
- Into the wild With its lava flows, outlying islands, rugged mountains, and national parks, Kyushu is an adventurer's dream. Most trails require only good shoes, water, and some time.
- Remote access Bullet trains now extend all the way to Kagoshima, and in another hour, you can be on the hot sand of Ibusuki's beaches.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More